Prep time: about 1-2 hours
- 2 c. plain yogurt
- ½ c. canned crushed pineapple (packed in its own juice instead of packed in syrup)
- 1 can frozen pineapple or orange-pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
- Drain the can of crushed pineapple so all the juice runs out.
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix together.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cups. Fill them almost to the top.
- Stretch a small piece of plastic wrap across the top of each cup.
- Using the popsicle stick (remember? you already bought these!), poke a hole in the plastic wrap. Stand the stick straight up in the center of the cup.
- Put the cups in the freezer until the mixture is frozen solid.
- Remove the plastic wrap and peel away the paper cup. You'll have pineapple pops to eat and share!
Sunny Strawberry Bars
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. golden raisins
- ½ c. butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ¾ c. strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit (180° Celsius).
- In a large bowl, mix everything together except the strawberry jam.
- Measure out 2 cups of this mixture. Leave the rest in the bowl, and set it aside.
- Take the 2 cups of the mixture and press it into the bottom of the pan. You can use your hands or a spoon. Make sure you cover the entire bottom of the pan!
- Using a large spoon, spread the strawberry jam on top of the mixture in the pan. Spread it evenly all over.
- Take the mixture that was left in the bowl, and spread it over the strawberry jam. Press it down lightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the bars into 12 squares to eat and share!
Disappearing Zucchini Muffins
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1½ c. shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
- 2 c. whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)
- Wash zucchini and remove ends.
- Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
- Wrap grated zucchini in a couple of paper towels and squeeze to remove water.
- Measure 1½ cups of squeezed-dry zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
- Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove muffins from tin (with help from your adult assistant) and cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.
about a dozen